North Yorkshire Moors Railway
The North Yorkshire Moors Railway operates steam trains along an 18 mile line between the market town of Pickering and the village of Grosmont, through the heart of the North York Moors National Park and on to the mainline to Whitby covering 24 miles of track. The railway passes through a variety of scenery, from wooded valley to heather clad moorland. It also calls at picturesque villages along the way and offers access to unspoilt countryside and the sea for walkers and cyclists.
The NYMR is one of the earliest and most historic lines in the North of England. Its origins go back well over a century and a half, and was an important trade link between Pickering and Whitby. Following a meeting in 1831 George Stephenson was asked to report on building the line of simplest construction for the employment of animal power. The complete 24 mile stretch of line was fully opened in May 1836.
The line operated for well over a century during which modifications were gradually made and steam locomotives took over. In the 1950’s traffic began to dwindle and by 1965 the line operated its last passenger service.
10 interesting North Yorkshire Moors Railway Facts:
1. On the 26th May 2016 it will be 180 years since the Whitby to Pickering railway opened.
2. Over the past 10 years the railway has had over 262,000 group travellers.
3. 8,700 tiles cover Pickering Station roof. These were from Penrhyn Quarry in Wales, the same quarry from which the originals came. This was recently reinstated in 2010!
4. Over 43 years of operating our locomotives up and down the line equates to the same distance as a single journey from the Earth to the Moon.
5. 4,000 tonnes of ballast is ordered per year at the railway.
6. 100,000 sleepers are in use along the NYMR railway line.
7. 1,990 tonnes of coal is used per year – this is the railways biggest bill each year!
8. A Black Five locomotive weighs 95.5 tonnes. That’s 14 large male African elephants!
9. The railway travels underneath the Larpool Viaduct as it enters Whitby. Five million bricks were used to build it.
10. 216 million visits to Yorkshire are made every year, equivalent to the total number of visitors to Walt Disney Attraction Theme Parks worldwide. (Top 10 Amusement/Theme Park Attraction Chains - World (2008). Source: Welcome to Yorkshire.
- Coach parties welcomed
- Disabled facilities
Location of North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Pickering
Thirsk to Scarborough: turn left at the traffic lights in Pickering town and follow the brown tourist signs for the Steam Railway.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Malton which is about 8 miles away.
The main bus stops are outside Pickering Tourist Information Centre at The Ropery and on Eastgate, both are within a 5 minute walk from the station.
North Yorkshire Moors Railway on Twitter
- We know it is lovely & warm at the moment, the last thing you may want to think about is the festive period, howeve… https://t.co/CoPyPOG1R419 Jul at 13:15
- RT @wizardbustour: 7 sleeps until our first tour... OPENING WEEKEND OFFER...SAVE 35%. All seats £39 for July 26th, 27th and 28th. Book now…19 Jul at 08:28
- @jakeevans Hi, No we don't charge for a 3 year old. A child's ticket is available for people aged 4-15 years old inclusive. Hope that helps.19 Jul at 08:28
- Head over to the @BBCYork Facebook Page - For a Facebook Slow video along the line: https://t.co/4A6RN0nptg18 Jul at 11:17
- @SillyGillyVin Hi, You could use it as a 2 x Adult Day Return, but not spread it over multiple days i'm afraid.18 Jul at 08:23
What's nearby North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Pickering
Kelvin Holiday Bungalow is located in the beautiful and traditional village of Thornton-Le-Dale in t...
2.24 mile(s) away.
A beautiful, luxury cottage, sleeping 4 in 2 bedrooms. Situated in a quiet village location between ...
5.47 mile(s) away.
Well-equipped and comfortable with indoor heated Swimming Pool, Spa (Hot Tub) and Sauna. In a quiet ...
4.1 mile(s) away.
Hall Cottage is situated just off the Village green enclosed by walled gardens. This lovely stone -...
4.56 mile(s) away.
Brambling Fields B&B is located within easy reach of the A64 with beautiful views across the Wol...
7.38 mile(s) away.
We are located on the southern edge of the North Yorkshire Moors. We are no longer a working farm bu...
9.28 mile(s) away.
Dating from 1701, The Old Forge was the former village Blacksmith’s Cottage and Forge. O...
4.03 mile(s) away.
Willow Grange is a collection of luxury holiday properties, located on a working farm in the Vale of...
3.94 mile(s) away.
Lumley Cottage is a delightful. Stone-built cottage tucked away quietly in the pretty village of Tho...
2.48 mile(s) away.
Opened in June 2013 Croft House Bed & Breakfast is ideally located in the picturesque village of Ha...
9.4 mile(s) away.
Primrose Hill Farmhouse is a delightful cottage-style farmhouse situated in the picturesque village ...
6.73 mile(s) away.
Ashfield Garden Room accommodation offers guests looking for good quality accommodation an alternati...
4.5 mile(s) away.
Go Ape is the UK's No.1 award winning Forest Adventure for all the family. Based in Dalby Forest it&...
4.18 mile(s) away.
Nature reserve with interesting flora and fauna. The Bridestones - curious rocks left by erosion....
0.46 mile(s) away.
A 25 metre pool Flume and Fast Tan Sunbeds. Free parking on site....
0.35 mile(s) away.
Mountain Bike Holidays including guiding or instruction in specialist biker accommodation. Guided r...
0.3 mile(s) away.
Big Bear Bikes is a cycle shop and cycle hire guiding and training centre on Dalby Forest' s doorste...
0.17 mile(s) away.
Family Owned and run Independent cinema with Art Deco character. A 3 Screen cinema (one we believe i...
7.74 mile(s) away.
Outdoor activities and paintballing centre based in the atmospheric Dalby Forest between Pickering a...
4.18 mile(s) away.
Newbridge Park have developed bike trails improved footpaths and created a family picnic area in a ...
0.15 mile(s) away.
Why not enjoy some fabulous biking in the North York Moors? Nothing beats a ride through Dalby - Eng...
4.17 mile(s) away.
The Shed is a pint-sized music and poetry venue within Brawby Village Hall. on the edge of the North...
5.26 mile(s) away.
Malton and Norton Golf Club is a twenty seven hole course of three contrasting loops providing chall...
8.49 mile(s) away.
The Hole of Horcum is a vast 400ft deep natural hollow measuring 1/2 a mile across. It has been natu...
7.47 mile(s) away.
Award winning family butcher's...
7.96 mile(s) away.
The Coachman Inn is a restaurant and bar with rooms serving locally sourced produce cooked with pass...
7.4 mile(s) away.
Birdgate Chocolatiers based in Pickering offer a selection of quality delicious and luxurious choco...
0.15 mile(s) away.
7.16 mile(s) away.
With his unbinding passion for food, Aldo Valerio introduces CASA VALERIO – Passione Dela Past...
7.8 mile(s) away.
With his unbinding passion for food, Aldo introduces CASA VALERIO – Passione Dela Pasta his ne...
2.42 mile(s) away.
This contemporary pub excudes a rustic styled decor ushering clients in with a traditional Yorkshire...
7.72 mile(s) away.
4.83 mile(s) away.
The Gamers Bar and Priory Restaurant Choose from our home-cooked menu freshly prepared by our fabulo...
8.62 mile(s) away.
Use the form below to search fantastic deals on Ryedale Hotels, B&Bs, Self-catering accommodation.
Things to do during your stay
Please use the form below to find attractions in Ryedale.
What's On during your stay
Please use the form below to find events in Ryedale.