North Yorkshire Moors Railway
The North Yorkshire Moors Railway operates steam trains along an 18 mile line between the market town of Pickering and the village of Grosmont, through the heart of the North York Moors National Park and on to the mainline to Whitby covering 24 miles of track. The railway passes through a variety of scenery, from wooded valley to heather clad moorland. It also calls at picturesque villages along the way and offers access to unspoilt countryside and the sea for walkers and cyclists.
The NYMR is one of the earliest and most historic lines in the North of England. Its origins go back well over a century and a half, and was an important trade link between Pickering and Whitby. Following a meeting in 1831 George Stephenson was asked to report on building the line of simplest construction for the employment of animal power. The complete 24 mile stretch of line was fully opened in May 1836.
The line operated for well over a century during which modifications were gradually made and steam locomotives took over. In the 1950’s traffic began to dwindle and by 1965 the line operated its last passenger service.
10 interesting North Yorkshire Moors Railway Facts:
1. On the 26th May 2016 it will be 180 years since the Whitby to Pickering railway opened.
2. Over the past 10 years the railway has had over 262,000 group travellers.
3. 8,700 tiles cover Pickering Station roof. These were from Penrhyn Quarry in Wales, the same quarry from which the originals came. This was recently reinstated in 2010!
4. Over 43 years of operating our locomotives up and down the line equates to the same distance as a single journey from the Earth to the Moon.
5. 4,000 tonnes of ballast is ordered per year at the railway.
6. 100,000 sleepers are in use along the NYMR railway line.
7. 1,990 tonnes of coal is used per year – this is the railways biggest bill each year!
8. A Black Five locomotive weighs 95.5 tonnes. That’s 14 large male African elephants!
9. The railway travels underneath the Larpool Viaduct as it enters Whitby. Five million bricks were used to build it.
10. 216 million visits to Yorkshire are made every year, equivalent to the total number of visitors to Walt Disney Attraction Theme Parks worldwide. (Top 10 Amusement/Theme Park Attraction Chains - World (2008). Source: Welcome to Yorkshire.
- Coach parties welcomed
- Disabled facilities
Location of North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Pickering
Thirsk to Scarborough: turn left at the traffic lights in Pickering town and follow the brown tourist signs for the Steam Railway.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Malton which is about 8 miles away.
The main bus stops are outside Pickering Tourist Information Centre at The Ropery and on Eastgate, both are within a 5 minute walk from the station.
North Yorkshire Moors Railway on Twitter
- Preparations for half term services have begun! We're starting things off on Saturday morning with the Levisham An… https://t.co/MQBUTfSq4623 May at 18:00
- RT @CaroleTJohnston: For those who love old railways and stunning views, a journey through the North Yorkshire Moors on the @nymr is a must…23 May at 12:59
- RT @NE_Geocaching: That's about right! @nymr https://t.co/XFtgqHN76t23 May at 11:59
- @P_Haynes I believe we have gas lamps in our archive - if you get in touch with them at email@example.com they wil… https://t.co/VcpKOh9KQ123 May at 09:40
- Ready for a 2 wheel adventure? @northyorkmoors is great for cycling - whether you're an expert or just looking for… https://t.co/0mgrdHm0PU23 May at 09:30
What's nearby North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Pickering
Kelvin Holiday Bungalow is located in the beautiful and traditional village of Thornton-Le-Dale in t...
2.24 mile(s) away.
Hall Cottage is situated just off the Village green enclosed by walled gardens. This lovely stone -...
4.56 mile(s) away.
Brambling Fields B&B is located within easy reach of the A64 with beautiful views across the Wol...
7.38 mile(s) away.
A beautiful, luxury cottage, sleeping 4 in 2 bedrooms. Situated in a quiet village location between ...
5.47 mile(s) away.
Well-equipped and comfortable with indoor heated Swimming Pool, Spa (Hot Tub) and Sauna. In a quiet ...
4.1 mile(s) away.
The Star's unique nine-bedroomed hotel is literally across the road from the Pub. All nine rooms are...
9.41 mile(s) away.
This charmingly quaint stone built grade II listed cottage dates back to the mid 18th century and ...
2.44 mile(s) away.
North York Moors holiday cottages near Pickering in the village of Lockton and close to Dalby Forest...
4.49 mile(s) away.
The Mount Hotel used to be St.Michaels Girls School it was build 1876. All rooms are painted with m...
7.78 mile(s) away.
Robin Hood Caravan & Camping Park is situated in the heart of picturesque Ryedale on the edge of...
8.26 mile(s) away.
A warm welcome awaits you at Cawthorne House. An elegant listed Victorian townhouse. All rooms en-su...
0.34 mile(s) away.
Based in Thornton-le-Dale, Trailside is a charming house which offers a warm welcome ideally situate...
2.23 mile(s) away.
Mountain Bike Holidays including guiding or instruction in specialist biker accommodation. Guided r...
0.3 mile(s) away.
Go Ape is the UK's No.1 award winning Forest Adventure for all the family. Based in Dalby Forest it&...
4.18 mile(s) away.
B.H.S and A.B.R.S Approved. Lessons from novices to advanced riders. All staff are fully qualified. ...
7.72 mile(s) away.
Malton and Norton Golf Club is a twenty seven hole course of three contrasting loops providing chall...
8.49 mile(s) away.
Northern Ride are the only North Yorkshire stockist of Olympia Scapin and Focus bikes; they believ...
7.74 mile(s) away.
Why not enjoy some fabulous biking in the North York Moors? Nothing beats a ride through Dalby - Eng...
4.17 mile(s) away.
Family Owned and run Independent cinema with Art Deco character. A 3 Screen cinema (one we believe i...
7.74 mile(s) away.
Nature reserve with interesting flora and fauna. The Bridestones - curious rocks left by erosion....
0.46 mile(s) away.
Dalby Forest, managed by the Forestry Commission, offers over 8,000 acres of woodland to explore, en...
3.65 mile(s) away.
Leisure centre with a mixture of indoor and outdoor facilities including a large indoor sports hall ...
0.44 mile(s) away.
A 25 metre pool Flume and Fast Tan Sunbeds. Free parking on site....
0.35 mile(s) away.
Big Bear Bikes is a cycle shop and cycle hire guiding and training centre on Dalby Forest' s doorste...
0.17 mile(s) away.
Wine & Spirits Boutique - Tasting Room - Cafe Bar & Lounge...
7.74 mile(s) away.
The Sun Inn is a CAMRA stamped cosy pub found at the foot of the Yorkshire Moors in Pickering. We ...
0.3 mile(s) away.
Here at the George & Dragon we are passionate about food and this is why we were listed one of the "...
6.4 mile(s) away.
The bar and restaurant are full of old world charm and character featuring a roaring log fire. The b...
8.36 mile(s) away.
Award winning family butcher's...
7.96 mile(s) away.
Food 2 Remember is a family run business in Yorkshire. Supplying a variety of locally sourced, free-...
7.79 mile(s) away.
Nestled in the peaceful village of Gillamoor amongst the beautiful North Yorkshire Moors The Royal...
8.37 mile(s) away.
Birdgate Chocolatiers based in Pickering offer a selection of quality delicious and luxurious choco...
0.15 mile(s) away.
The Fox and Hounds Inn is located in the picturesque village of Sinnington on the edge of the North ...
3.93 mile(s) away.
Use the form below to search fantastic deals on Ryedale Hotels, B&Bs, Self-catering accommodation.
Things to do during your stay
Please use the form below to find attractions in Ryedale.
What's On during your stay
Please use the form below to find events in Ryedale.