Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul

Address

Hallgarth
Pickering
Pickering
North Yorkshire
YO18 7AP

Contact

01751 472983

Details

The Church you see today was built on the site of a Saxon predecessor. Little is known about this early Church, and all that remains is a carved cross shaft and the bowl of the stone font. The Saxon Church on this site may well have been wasted during William the Conqueror’s ‘harrying of the North’.

The early Norman Church, which was built c. 1140, would have been of simple cruciform layout, with a central tower surrounded by a nave, a chancel and two transepts. Soon, aisles were added to this original structure: the north aisle in about 1150 and the south aisle towards the end of the twelfth century. The present west tower was built in the early part of the thirteenth century, and sometime in the fourteenth century the chancel was widened to cope with the liturgies of the period. A porch was also added, and then, in the fifteenth century, two chantry chapels, either side of the high altar. On the abolition of the chantries, the Roucliffe Chapel, on the south side of the sanctuary, was for some time a school, before, in 1920, undergoing renovations to restore it to liturgical use.

The mediaeval wall paintings, which give St Peter’s and St Paul’s its fame, were probably first commissioned in 1450, and were painted the following decade, as details in the costumes and armour of some of the figures makes clear. Nikolaus Pevsner, the renowned expert on architectural history said that ‘This is one of the most complete set of wall paintings… and they give one a vivid idea of what ecclesiastical interiors were really like’. They are in fact one of about five sets of such extensive wall paintings still in existence in the country. The images vary in scale and in what they depict: some are large single figures; others tell stories. Details of each scene are given here and in the guide book, available from the Church bookstall.

Probably at the time of the Reformation, and certainly with the spread of Puritanism, the paintings were hidden from view with coats of whitewash. Only in 1852, with work being carried out to repair and clean the nave, were the paintings revealed. The Vicar at the time, the Rev’d Ponsonby, wanted them re-covered, showing his dislike of them in a letter to the Archbishop of York: ‘As a work of art [they are] fairly ridiculous, would excite feelings of curiosity, and distract the congregation’. He went on to say that ‘the paintings are out of place in a protestant Church, especially in these dangerous times’; he subsequently had them re-covered in a thick yellow wash within a fortnight of the discovery. Fortunately, what had been revealed was recorded by drawings made by W H Dykes, an assistant architect at Durham Cathedral. These drawings survive to this day.

In the 1870s the Church underwent extensive restoration, particularly to the tower and transepts. Box pews were replaced with the present oak pews and two galleries were dismantled. A decade later, once the restoration and reordering of the fabric was complete, the firm Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster were contracted to restore the paintings. Though a lot of damage was done to the paintings by removing the covering paint and the memorials which lined the nave wall, the Vicar, Rev’d Lightfoot, insisted that where it was possible, restoration should take place rather than leaving fragments. The paintings were consequently extensively repainted and the whole project was finished by 1895.

The interior of the Church remained true to the plans of the Victorian restorers for most of the twentieth century. The chancel screen was erected in 1927 and the oak panelling of the sanctuary was completed in the same decade, with a new reredos dedicated in 1930. The vestries were added in the 1930s.

St Peter’s and St Paul’s continues to change with the needs of the community it serves, and in 1997, the Parochial Church Council decided to carry out an extensive reordering. Pews were removed from the west end of the nave to allow the font to be replaced and to provide an open space for congregating after services. The south transept was established as a memorial chapel, and the north transept was screened off to provide more storage space. The vestries were refurbished, and the whole project was completed in 2008.

For nearly one thousand years, generations of Pickering’s residents have worshipped in this Church, been married at the altar steps and baptised in the font, and have had their funerals here. The work of this Church continues to this day with a vigorous body of worshippers and communicants, who continue to take part in daily worship. This Church is Pickering’s Parish Church and seeks to serve the whole community and to be there for all who need its ministry.

Facilities

  • Coach parties welcomed
  • Wheelchair accessWheelchair access

Location of Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul, Pickering

Directions

From the South

Travel North on the M1 or A1(M), following signs for A64 York. Travel East on the A64 all the way round York’s outer ring road (signposted Scarborough) until you reach the turning for the A169 towards Pickering, just beyond Malton. Follow this road straight into Pickering.

From the North

Travel South on the A1 or A19 to Thirsk. From Thirsk, follow the A170 (signposted Helmsley) to Pickering.

Parking

Pickering is a small town but is serviced by two main car parks: one opposite the supermarket on the main road from Helmsley; the other just to the right of the roundabout when entering Pickering from York. There is also limited free on-road parking on Hallgarth.

Public Transport Directions

For more information on public transport, see www.welcometopickering.co.uk/about-pickering/transport-links/


Social media

Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul on Twitter

What's nearby Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul, Pickering

.

Search Accommodation

Use the form below to search fantastic deals on Ryedale Hotels, B&Bs, Self-catering accommodation.

Type:
Check-in:
For:
Near:
Rating:
Property Name:

Things to do during your stay

Please use the form below to find attractions in Ryedale.

Category group:
or Category:
Near:
Facilities:
Free entry
Children Welcome
Disabled facilities
Dogs accepted
Facilities for groups
Accessible by public transport
Venue Name:

What's On during your stay

Please use the form below to find events in Ryedale.

From To
Category:
Near:
Facilities:
Free entry
Children Welcome
Disabled facilities
Dogs accepted
Facilities for groups
Accessible by public transport
Event Name:

Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul

Address

Hallgarth
Pickering
Pickering
North Yorkshire
YO18 7AP

Contact

01751 472983

Details

The Church you see today was built on the site of a Saxon predecessor. Little is known about this early Church, and all that remains is a carved cross shaft and the bowl of the stone font. The Saxon Church on this site may well have been wasted during William the Conqueror’s ‘harrying of the North’.

The early Norman Church, which was built c. 1140, would have been of simple cruciform layout, with a central tower surrounded by a nave, a chancel and two transepts. Soon, aisles were added to this original structure: the north aisle in about 1150 and the south aisle towards the end of the twelfth century. The present west tower was built in the early part of the thirteenth century, and sometime in the fourteenth century the chancel was widened to cope with the liturgies of the period. A porch was also added, and then, in the fifteenth century, two chantry chapels, either side of the high altar. On the abolition of the chantries, the Roucliffe Chapel, on the south side of the sanctuary, was for some time a school, before, in 1920, undergoing renovations to restore it to liturgical use.

The mediaeval wall paintings, which give St Peter’s and St Paul’s its fame, were probably first commissioned in 1450, and were painted the following decade, as details in the costumes and armour of some of the figures makes clear. Nikolaus Pevsner, the renowned expert on architectural history said that ‘This is one of the most complete set of wall paintings… and they give one a vivid idea of what ecclesiastical interiors were really like’. They are in fact one of about five sets of such extensive wall paintings still in existence in the country. The images vary in scale and in what they depict: some are large single figures; others tell stories. Details of each scene are given here and in the guide book, available from the Church bookstall.

Probably at the time of the Reformation, and certainly with the spread of Puritanism, the paintings were hidden from view with coats of whitewash. Only in 1852, with work being carried out to repair and clean the nave, were the paintings revealed. The Vicar at the time, the Rev’d Ponsonby, wanted them re-covered, showing his dislike of them in a letter to the Archbishop of York: ‘As a work of art [they are] fairly ridiculous, would excite feelings of curiosity, and distract the congregation’. He went on to say that ‘the paintings are out of place in a protestant Church, especially in these dangerous times’; he subsequently had them re-covered in a thick yellow wash within a fortnight of the discovery. Fortunately, what had been revealed was recorded by drawings made by W H Dykes, an assistant architect at Durham Cathedral. These drawings survive to this day.

In the 1870s the Church underwent extensive restoration, particularly to the tower and transepts. Box pews were replaced with the present oak pews and two galleries were dismantled. A decade later, once the restoration and reordering of the fabric was complete, the firm Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster were contracted to restore the paintings. Though a lot of damage was done to the paintings by removing the covering paint and the memorials which lined the nave wall, the Vicar, Rev’d Lightfoot, insisted that where it was possible, restoration should take place rather than leaving fragments. The paintings were consequently extensively repainted and the whole project was finished by 1895.

The interior of the Church remained true to the plans of the Victorian restorers for most of the twentieth century. The chancel screen was erected in 1927 and the oak panelling of the sanctuary was completed in the same decade, with a new reredos dedicated in 1930. The vestries were added in the 1930s.

St Peter’s and St Paul’s continues to change with the needs of the community it serves, and in 1997, the Parochial Church Council decided to carry out an extensive reordering. Pews were removed from the west end of the nave to allow the font to be replaced and to provide an open space for congregating after services. The south transept was established as a memorial chapel, and the north transept was screened off to provide more storage space. The vestries were refurbished, and the whole project was completed in 2008.

For nearly one thousand years, generations of Pickering’s residents have worshipped in this Church, been married at the altar steps and baptised in the font, and have had their funerals here. The work of this Church continues to this day with a vigorous body of worshippers and communicants, who continue to take part in daily worship. This Church is Pickering’s Parish Church and seeks to serve the whole community and to be there for all who need its ministry.

Ticketing and entry prices for Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul

Type Cost
Free
£0.00
per person

Facilities

  • Coach parties welcomed
  • Wheelchair accessWheelchair access

Location of Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul, Pickering

Directions

From the South

Travel North on the M1 or A1(M), following signs for A64 York. Travel East on the A64 all the way round York’s outer ring road (signposted Scarborough) until you reach the turning for the A169 towards Pickering, just beyond Malton. Follow this road straight into Pickering.

From the North

Travel South on the A1 or A19 to Thirsk. From Thirsk, follow the A170 (signposted Helmsley) to Pickering.

Parking

Pickering is a small town but is serviced by two main car parks: one opposite the supermarket on the main road from Helmsley; the other just to the right of the roundabout when entering Pickering from York. There is also limited free on-road parking on Hallgarth.

Public Transport Directions

For more information on public transport, see www.welcometopickering.co.uk/about-pickering/transport-links/

What's nearby Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul, Pickering